You are here
Unused Medicines Can Do a World of Harm
365体育官网We encourage the proper disposal of unused medicines.
Actions to reduce improper disposal of expired or unwanted prescription and nonprescription medicines reduces the potential for diversion, improper use of medications, and helps protect our water.
365体育官网Although studies have indicated that only a small portion of medicines enter the environment through waste disposal, it is important to consider the impact from all sources.
365体育官网Through education and awareness programs, we work together with regulatory agencies, the broader healthcare community, and the public to better understand the potential impacts associated with the improper disposal of unused medicines.
365体育官网In particular, we wish to:
- Significantly reduce the potential for the release of active pharmaceutical ingredients to the environment
365体育官网In an effort to manage unused medicines, we’re actively:
- Partnering with other pharmaceutical companies and government agencies to support proper unused medicine disposal
- Supporting voluntary community collection programs involving law enforcement
- Educating patients and families on proper disposal and methods to securing medicines
- Supporting patient advocacy organizations that address abuse concerns associated with unused medicines
US FDA Advice
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advice applies only to the disposal of medicines in the United States. Most drugs can be thrown in the household trash in the United States, but consumers should take certain precautions before tossing them out, according to the US FDA. A few drugs should be flushed down the toilet.
Explore additional resources:
- - watch the video, download the guide.
- - drug disposal program under the US Secure & Responsible Disposal Act